Writing for Music, Arts and Design Publications
Through Rocket Words, I've produced articles and interviews for a wide variety of arts, music and design-related publications. Along the way, I've written about everything from banking to baseball.
Here's a selection of Rocket Words articles about arts, music, design and more.The San Francisco Chronicle
- Stompin' at the Dogpatch. A feature about a weekly jazz jam at a gin mill on the edge of town.
- Bobby Hutcherson's Soaring Jazz. The spirited, spritual jazz guru on the creative process and the joy of music.
- Gary Burton Unites Many Generations. The great jazz vibraphonist brings his new band to San Francisco.
- Jazz as Poetry. The luminous, moving music of singer Patricia Barber.
- Blues-Laced Melody is Sax Man's Forte. A profile of soul sax star Houston Person.
- Jazz Man Plays for Peace. Bay Area saxophonist Ron Stallings presents “A Context for Peace.”
- Ten Years and Still Among Us. Bay Area jazz/hip hop band Mingus Amungus celebrates their 10-year anniversary.
- Rockabilly Queen Took Cue from King. A profile of rockabilly legend Wanda Jackson.
- Jazz Will Move You. An essay presenting the joys, rewards and, yes, challenges of jazz.
- It's (Not) Only Rock 'N' Roll. A review of saxophonist Tim Ries' jazz renderings of Rolling Stones songs.
- Thinking Big. A profile of the innovative, high-energy big band led by saxophonist Mitch Marcus.
- Mitch Marcus: Focusing on Original Music. An up-and-coming saxophonist champions hard-driving progressive jazz.
- Michael Parsons Looks for a Toehold. A young funk/jazz keyboardist pays his dues.
- The Lights Suite by Marcus Shelby. A CD review.
- Jamming with the Collective West Jazz Orchestra. A weekly big band gig in a funky cellar.
- Leo Litwak Recreates The Medic. An interview with the author of a stirring World War II personal narrative.
- Youth Has Its Day: The SFJAZZ All-Star High School Ensemble Auditions. A feature for the San Francisco Jazz Fest website.
- Hearing Aid: Modernization at Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. For Auditoria Magazine, on the renovation of the home of the Baltimore Symphony.
- Tattoos on Writers, Writers on Tattoos. A review of the literary anthology Dorothy Parker's Elbow for Skin & Ink Magazine.
- Pediatrics: Overstuffed and Misused. A look at the health hazards that overloaded backpacks pose for school-age children, for BioMechanics Magazine.
- Cyril Neville: Out to Change the Way the World Perceives New Orleans Music. An interview/profile for Wavelength Magazine.
- Why Work for Uncle Sam? Financial services career opportunities with government agencies, for WetFeet.com.
See samples of Rocket Words writing for Artists, Musicians, Designers and Arts-Related Businesses.
See samples of Rocket Words writing for Businesses and Service Professionals.
« Go back